Friday, July 6, 2012

December 2011... La Chope Nazareth, Paris


I drew this on my very last day in France, at a Parisian brasserie called La Chope Nazareth, an hour or so before grabbing a cab to Charles De Gaulle and flying back to LA.

My first night in Paris, I walked past this corner brasserie and saw through its windows all of the cool twenty and thirty somethings drinking and hanging out there and told myself that I would come back before I left Paris. It was on the same block as the apartment where I was staying, and I was determined to get some sense, however superficial, of what it was like to live in this area before I left and possibly never came back (to this particular block, at least). I meant to come at night and grab a drink, but, alas, with all of the stuff I was trying to do before I left, I ended up just not having enough time, and I instead came in with my luggage in tow in the middle of the day.

But, as much as I would have loved to be a part of that group of people who seemed to be so cool that I saw night after night, my going early in the day led to me having one of my favorite moments in Paris. First of all, I was the only customer there. Secondly, the bartender, whose head and broad-shouldered torso you see here, was hot. Gorgeous, really. He was very polite when I came in with all of my crap, but not overly friendly as I ordered a tea and took a seat at a table. So it was to my surprise that when I asked what were the name of some pastries I noticed on the bar ("Chouquettes", he told me), that he asked if I wanted one. When I hesitated, he told me in French that he was offering. Smiling, I grabbed one, thanked him, and ate it, telling him it was delicious.

To add to my surprise and delight, it was either as I left and was saying goodbye or when I thanked him for the chouquette, I can't remember exactly when, that he proceeded to... wink at me. With a smile.

Did I mention that he was smoking hot?

I felt like I was some 15 year-old school girl. It was all I could do to not trip over myself as he smiled at me as I left.

Sigh.

No comments: